Thursday, August 28, 2014

Maegan- Happy Feast Day!

Today, in a way, is everyone's Feast day! Why? Because today is the Feast of St. Augustine,
and if Augustine can become a Saint, then anyone can!

For most of my life, I have been fascinated by the Saints and their stories, but I knew of them almost like fairy tales. It was difficult for me to understand that they were real people. I think one of the gifts of the modern age (like I've mentioned before) is that through technology we have access to the stories of Saints right at our fingertips. And, more recently, we have been blessed to witness the canonization of a man who actually LIVED during our lifetime: St. John Paul II. Suddenly, with the canonization of JPII, Sainthood has become so real to me - more than just nursery tales - because I knew and loved that man as a living priest and shepard in our Church, and now he is a Saint! Now, the skeptics of JPII are few because most people can agree that he lived an extraordinary life of holiness throughout most of his life. Augustine, however; is a Saint from the other side of camp. :)

Do you know the story of Augustine? In brief, his modern day motto could have been: "YOLO!" (You Only Live Once... a mantra for those not wanting to miss out on more worldly experiences like sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll for those of you who have been wondering what the heck "YOLO" is). Augustine loved himself some boos, broads, and... de-bauchery! His poor, fierce, devoted mother, St. Monica, prayed for her son's conversion for 40 years! (Tangent: I get tired of praying the same intention for like a week! 40 years? No wonder she's a Saint!) After all those years of throwing himself into every other possible thing he could find, seeking happiness and fulfillment practically in every other corner or the world, Augustine realized his thirst was still not satiated. "Our hearts our restless until they rest in you, Oh God." Augustine put to words what each of us knows in our hearts: that God is our ultimate fulfillment, whether we want to acknowledge it, or not.

Today, we celebrate this wonderful Saint because, frankly, if that sinner can allow God to conquer his lust, addictions, pride, etc. and transform him into one of the most profound Saints in the history of the world- then I've got a fighting chance too!

I love Augustine for his honesty with himself, and the Lord. I think THAT is where his sanctity was accomplished: in his honest wrestling with his own humanity.

"Lord, make me a Saint, but not yet."

St. Augustine, pray for us!
Let us pray...

"O Beauty ancient, O beauty new. Late have I loved Thee and feebly, yet do. Though you were with me I was not with You, then You shone Your face and I was blind no more. 
My heart searches restlessly, and finds no rest 'til it rests in Thee. O Seeker, You sought for me. Your love has found me, I am taken by Thee. 
I searched this world and chased its finer things, yet were these not in You they could not have been. My ceaseless longing hid the deeper truth: in all my desirings I was desiring you. 
Lord, in my deafness You cried out to me. I drew my breath and now Your fragrance I breathe. O, Font of Life You are forever the same. O, Fire of Love, come set me aflame!
("Prayer of Augustine" Ed Conlin) 

1 comment:

  1. Day 27 -
    Here I stand, knocking at the door. If anyone hears me calling and opens the door, I will enter his house and have supper with him, and he with me” (Rev 3). Jesus entered Zaccheaus' house even though Zaccheaus was called a sinner (Lk 19). The one thing Jesus asks is that we be willing to open the door.

    Jesus himself teaches us how to pray. Having Jesus as a guest begins with paying attention to the movement of his Holy Spirit in our hearts, drawing us into prayer. This happens often with Jesus' disciples. Whatever we may have on our minds Jesus wants to accomplish his own plan in us. He is interested in bringing us into closer union with himself and with his Father in the Holy Spirit. That will last what¬ever our passing concerns may be. He is not indifferent to those concerns. However, he has priorities which are more lasting than our plans or concerns of the moment.

    Prayer:

    Lord Jesus, enable me to let go for a time of anything which can disturb my peaceful union with you. I believe that you will be with me later in dealing with my problems if I set them aside now so as to be with you in a communion of love.

    ReplyDelete