Friday, August 15, 2014

Maegan - Desire

I've been contemplating this thought since yesterday (because the readings for the pray-as-you-go podcast yesterday were for the Solemnity of the Assumption, which is today's feast day)--

What is the honest desire of your heart?
In the depths of your being, if you are being 100% authentic to who you are, what would the cry of your heart be?


The truth is: I don't really know. I have some ideas... I desire deeply to be loved, and to be love. I desire to give my life fully for those in it, to serve and support and pour myself out. And I want to be good- I think my struggle with perfectionism is rooted in a desire to be "good," to accomplish meaningful things, be successful, make an impact of some kind... And rooted in there somewhere also is that I want these things for God, and with God. But, if I'm being honest... It's a little convoluted, and often it's more "me" focused than God focused... And sometimes I don't know what I want at all. 

But when I hear Mary's Proclamation to Elizabeth - her battlecry, her mission statement - my soul wells up from the inside with love, admiration, inspiration. Mary's purpose is so clear to her (and to the rest of us), that it simply overflows from al that she is. And I believe that it resonates in the depths of all of our hearts, whether we realize it or not, because it is who we were made to be too. 

Mary's canticle, echoes the cry of all of our hearts. 

“My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord;
my spirit rejoices in God my Savior
for he has looked with favor on his lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed:
the Almighty has done great things for me
and holy is his Name.
He has mercy on those who fear him
in every generation.
He has shown the strength of his arm,
and has scattered the proud in their conceit.
He has cast down the mighty from their thrones,
and has lifted up the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent away empty.
He has come to the help of his servant Israel
for he has remembered his promise of mercy,
the promise he made to our fathers,
to Abraham and his children forever.”


Let us pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment